MFL - French
The Modern Foreign Language (French) curriculum has been designed at Highfield St. Matthew’s C.E Primary to suit our children, their learning and their future. Using the latest interactive resources, children are able to express their ideas and thoughts in another language and respond to its phonic, vocabulary and grammar requirements. With God at the centre of our school, every child is valued. In the delivery of French, we prepare them to be a member of a class, school, local community and also for their future role in modern Britain and as a global citizen.
At Highfield St. Matthew’s we teach French to all Key Stage Two children, as part of the SHINE curriculum. The aims of teaching an additional language at primary level are to:
- follow the National Curriculum objectives and revisit them throughout the curriculum map in order to build on and consolidate previous knowledge
- stimulate a thirst for and foster an interest in learning other languages whilst keeping our curriculum broad and rich in stimulus
- introduce young children to another language in a way that is enjoyable and fun
- use a variety of resources to assist us in delivering the French curriculum including visits and curriculum enhancement weeks, ensuring links and relationships are meaningful
- make young children aware that language is structured, and that the structure differs from one language to another. We will provide knowledge and vocabulary rich experiences that excite and engage
- help children develop their awareness of cultural differences in other countries, encourage confident, caring, respectful and responsible citizens
- develop pupils’ speaking and listening skills initially and then reading and writing skills through a broad and balanced approach
- lay foundations for future study; It is widely believed that the early acquisition of a foreign language facilitates the learning of other foreign languages later in life.
- deliver a quality education that is inclusive and equips all our children to be lifelong learners